Education Program Assistant
Overview: Virginia Opera, the official opera company of the Commonwealth of Virginia, seeks a highly organized individual to serve as its full-time Education Coordinator, providing key administrative support to its statewide Education and Outreach Program.
Department: Education & Outreach
Supervisor: Statewide Director of Education & Outreach
Location: Richmond, Virginia
- Oversee and manage day-to-day scheduling of education and outreach activities, including but not limited to rehearsals, performances, and meetings, using Google Calendar.
- Generate weekly advances and agendas for education artists.
- Oversee and manage essential data pertaining to the Education & Outreach Department, including but not limited to contacts, education and outreach services, and grant funding.
- Oversee and manage the department’s office in Norfolk, often serving as the first point of contact for incoming program inquiries.
- At the direction of Director of Education & Outreach, book education artist travel.
- Oversee the dissemination and receipt of teacher evaluation forms.
- Assist Director of Education & Outreach with the timely and accurate preparation of weekly sales reports for In-School Touring, Student Night at the Opera, and Student Afternoon at the Opera.
- Assist with the preparation of curriculum support materials and analysis pertaining to arts research, as well as the Virginia Standards of Learning (SOL’s)
- Assist the Director of Education & Outreach and the Senior Development Writer with preparation of fundraising proposals and reports.
- With the Finance Department, coordinate payment for Education & Outreach accounts payable.
- Generate and track the receipt of contracts between the Education & Outreach Department and program presenters.
- Generate invoices for program presenters.
- Assist with budget tracking, and timely submission/filing of all receipts/expense requests.
- Promote direct ticket sales to schools, homeschool groups, and youth organizations for the Opera’s four (4) Student Night at the Opera performances in Norfolk, and one (1) Student Afternoon at the Opera performance in Richmond.
- With the Marketing Department, oversee the dissemination of marketing collateral pertaining to the Education & Outreach Department.
- Serve as the primary point of contact with the Production Department to coordinate education tour production needs.
- Manage education tour costume and prop inventory.
- With the Artistic Department, assist with and track annual recruiting efforts for the Herndon Foundation Emerging Artist Program.
- Attend and take Minutes at bi-monthly Education Committee Meetings.
- Assist with Education Tour Orientation.
- Additional administrative duties as assigned by the Director of Education & Outreach.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Prior administrative experience, preferably in an arts or education setting.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- High degree of organization and attention to detail.
- Ability to complete tasks in a timely manner and meet project deadlines.
- Ability to work independently.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel
- Prior experience with Tessitura or similar database management software is preferred, but not required.
- Familiarity with the Virginia Standards of Learning (SOL’s) is preferred, but not required.
- Clean driving record
- Eligibility to work full-time in the United States
- Flexibility to work evenings and weekends as needed, with occasional travel to Northern and Central Virginia for select events and performances.
Please send cover letter, resume, and three professional references to: firstname.lastname@example.org, with “Education Coordinator Search” in the subject line.
*Salary commensurate with experience
*Preference will be given to applications submitted by December 1, 2017.
*Virginia Opera is an Equal Opportunity Employer
About Virginia Opera’s Education & Outreach Program:
2015-16 marks Virginia Opera’s 41st season, with a track record of education and in-school performance programs that began shortly after its founding in 1975. The Opera presents in three regional markets—Hampton Roads, Central Virginia, and Northern Virginia—and in 1994 was recognized by the Virginia General Assembly as The Official Opera Company of the Commonwealth of Virginia. Virginia Opera’s Education & Outreach Program offers more than 300 programs annually, in 38 cities and counties throughout the Commonwealth, to children and adults of all ages. With everything from children’s operas to community concerts and lectures, masterclasses, and workshops, Virginia Opera is committed to bringing live operatic experiences beyond the opera house that are imaginative, informative, and entertaining. These programs are supported in-part by the Virginia Commission for the Arts, and are supplemented by funding from numerous municipal government and arts agencies throughout the Commonwealth.
Virginia Opera, located in Norfolk, VA, invites applications for an experienced Technical Director. Virginia Opera produces four mainstage productions in three distinct markets throughout the commonwealth of Virginia.The Technical Director supervises all aspects of scenery construction, refurbishment, stage operations, and the state-wide touring of four large-scale productions. The Technical Director also maintains the safety standards for the organization, oversees all technical aspects of scenery rentals and provides support to various state-wide events.
The successful candidate will have a BA or BFA and 2-3 years professional theater or opera experience, which include the knowledge of theatre safety, all areas of stage operations and production, and both union and non-union personnel management. Strong skills in rigging, AutoCAD and shop maintenance, along with a valid driver’s license and the ability to drive trucks up to 26’ is required. Strong communication and the ability to multi-task is a plus.
Position will remain open until filled.
Please send your cover letter and resume with three references to Lee Marc Molnar, Director of Production, at email@example.com. Please include “Technical Director” in the subject line.