Box Office Associate
Virginia Opera, located in Norfolk, VA, invites applications for the position of Box Office Associate. Virginia Opera produces main-stage productions in three distinct markets throughout the commonwealth of Virginia.
The Box Office Associate is a seasonal, part-time position. The Associate is responsible for inbound and outbound box office phone calls and processing ticket orders using a highly sophisticated CRM database.
The ideal candidate must:
- Be a team player
- Be highly organized with attention to detail
- Possess good computer skills
- Be available for occasional evening and weekend events
- Be able to answer phones and process ticket orders quickly and efficiently
- Have previous experience in the customer service field
- Knowledge of CRM databases such as Tessitura or ETIX is preferred
Candidates should submit a cover letter, resume and references to the Director of Audience Development at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Box Office Associate” in the subject line.
Virginia Opera, located in Norfolk, VA, invites applications for the position of Technical Director. Virginia Opera produces main-stage productions in three distinct markets throughout the commonwealth of Virginia.
The Technical Director supervises all aspects of scenery construction, refurbishment, stage operations, and the state-wide touring of four large-scale productions. The Technical Director also maintains the safety standards for the organization, oversees all technical aspects of scenery rentals and provides support to various state-wide events.
The successful candidate will have a BA or BFA and 5-7 years professional theater or opera experience, which include the knowledge of theatre safety, all areas of stage operations and production, and both union and non-union personnel management. Strong skills in budgeting, AutoCAD and shop maintenance, along with a valid driver’s license and the ability to drive trucks up to 26’ is required. Strong communication and the ability to multi-task is a plus.
Position will remain open until filled.
Please send your cover letter and resume with three references to Lee Marc Molnar, Director of Production, at email@example.com. Please include “Technical Director” in the subject line.
The Production Electrician, in collaboration with and under the general direction of the Lighting Supervisor and Master Electrician, is responsible for lighting/video and some sound production for all shows and events; including, but not limited to, maintenance and repair of all equipment related to electrics, supertitles and projections; equipment load-in schedules; supervising crews in assembly and focus of lighting as specified by the Lighting Supervisor; monitoring all performances of productions; attending tech/dress rehearsals and specified production meetings; serving as House Electrician on outside events using the theater.
Examples of Duties, including but not limited to:
- Serves as staff supervisor for occasional Electrics work calls at the Harrison Opera House
- Run the Light Board for all Mainstage Virginia Opera productions
- Assists in the repair and maintenance of lighting department equipment
- Working with the Lighting Supervisor, maintain all Harrison Opera House related paperwork
- Working with Master Electrician, prepare equipment for remounting in other venues
- Hand and maintain House Light Plot when Virginia Opera is not in Production
- Maintain a safe, healthy, and clean work/shop environment
- Performs other related work as required
- Working knowledge of all technical production and performance aspects of theatre
- Working knowledge of the ETC Eos family of Lighting Consoles
- Excellent communication skills – written, oral and visual
- Exceptional computer skills
- Ability to work productively under time pressures and meet deadlines
- Working knowledge/understanding of the principals of lighting, lighting technology, electricity, design, in addition to other aspects as they relate to the overall theatre production process
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred, or 2-3 years professional experience in similar position
- Possess a valid Driver’s license and the ability to drive a 16′ box truck
- Ability to work long hours and work with a flexible schedule
- Must be willing to work at heights, around moving machinery, and with exposure to noise, vibration, and dust
- Ability to work safely in an environment containing potentially hazardous electrical equipment, fumes, and/or materials
- Must possess sufficient strength and stamina to lift and carry up to 50 pounds
- Must be able to perform physical activities such as, but not limited to: lifting, bending, standing, climbing, and/or walking.
Position is full-time seasonal
Housing not provided
Please send your cover letter and resume with three references to Lee Marc Molnar, Director of Production, at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Production Electrician” in the subject line.